After installing windows updates the forefront identity manager service didn’t start anymore. In the eventviewer this error was seen :
Log Name: System
Source: Service Control Manager
Event ID: 7009
Task Category: None
Computer: fim2010r2srv.exchangedude.com Description:
A timeout was reached (30000 milliseconds) while waiting for the Forefront Identity Manager Service service to connect.
It is a timeout issue. If you raise the service time-out of the ServicesPipeTimeout value to 60000 seconds, the service will start. (example in this topic )But offcourse this will solve the symptom, and is not a real solution. The real problem is the .net framework. The framework wants to check the CLR list on internet, but the server is not connected to the internet. The solution is disabling the CLR check in the Microsoft.ResourceManagement.Service.exe.config file.
Disable the .NET CLR Authenticode check for the FIM service :
- Go to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Forefront Identity Manager\2010\Service
- Make a backup copy of the existing Microsoft.ResourceManagement.Service.exe.config file.
- Using a text editor open Microsoft.ResourceManagement.Service.exe.config
- Right after the <runtime> section in the file add the following entry. <generatePublisherEvidence enabled=”false”/>
- Save the Microsoft.ResourceManagement.Service.exe.config file.
- Start the FIM Service.
More information about troubleshooting FIM service startup issues can be found in this nice technet article FIM Troubleshooting: FIM Service Start-up Timeout
Disclaimer : The author reserves the right not to be responsible for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of the information provided.